BREAKIN’ CONVENTION 2017 – Submissions Open
Submissions are now open for local acts to take part in BREAKIN’ CONVENTION 2017! Do you have the Talent?
NATIONAL TOUR SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Breakin’ Convention is the UK’s festival of hip hop dance theatre, presenting dance by companies and crews from across the globe.
If you are interested in submitting an application for yourself or your company please read the guidelines below before completing the application available on the Breakin’ Convention website http://breakinconvention.com/get-involved/perform/perform-breakin-convention/tour.
We are currently programming our 2017 National Tour (Blackpool performance date – Saturday, 27 May 2017).
You should apply for the venue closest to where you or your company are based. That’s BLACKPOOL!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday 28 October 2016
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Breakin’ Convention does not want to prescribe what you should create; we love the fact that companies continue to break the conventions of hip hop dance theatre. However, there are a few things that are really important for companies who want to be in the festival.
We are interested in companies who do any of the following:
- Demonstrate pure hip hop and street dance techniques to the highest level
- Are using hip hop and street dance techniques in a different and exciting way
- Have a story to tell or a concept to explore
- Are making a statement – this might be political or social
- Are able to create an atmosphere and take an audience to another world or state of mind
- Have a vision for the future of hip hop dance theatre
NOTE: We must see the full length of the piece you wish to present at the festival (Max length 6 mins, no min!).
Although work may not be finished at the time of auditions you must show what you have created so far – as we cannot programme a show we have not seen.
All of the companies who have performed at Breakin’ Convention Festivals have been unique:
- You don’t need a story or a theme. The Ruggeds (Netherlands) came with a raw, b-boying piece Adrenaline in 2015
- You don’t need a large set – BirdGang (UK) used only a single table and chair for Vice in 2013
- You don’t need a huge company of dancers to make a powerful piece – Kenrick “H20” Sandy – Boy Blue Ent (UK) performed a solo show Mad World in 2008
- Some companies have told stories through their performance whilst MyoSung (Korea) created an abstract dystopian world with their piece The Revolution Will Not Be Televised in 2009
- Some companies have experimented with technology – Sébastien and Raphael (France and Germany) interacted with a live video feed for Seuls Ensemble in 2010
- Start with your idea and remain true to it, dare to be different!
We want to know:
- Your idea – is there a story line, theme or vision for the piece?
- Whether you have performed it before, or is it new?
- What music are you using – chart music/mixed/new commission/live (DJ, musicians, vocals).
- How many dancers and, if under 18, how old they are?
- If you have performed as a group before, if so where?
- If you have photographs and video footage of the company?
Auditions (by appointment) will take place on the following date: Saturday, 3 December 2016 (at The Oracle, 49 St Anne’s Road, Blackpool FY4 2AP)
In Breakin’ Convention 2016 there were artists from the UK who have been working for over ten years, there were also young people making their first work. Don’t rule yourself out.
(Note for international companies: If you are an international company please do not complete this form but email email@example.com with information about your piece and we will contact you.)
If you have any questions about your submission please contact Breakin’ Convention (not the Grand Theatre) and we’ll be happy to help.
We take a look at the top Blackpool Family Shows for 2018/19 including the first tours of hit children’s television…
Thinking about where to eat in Blackpool before your visit to The Blackpool Grand Theatre? Blackpool is a hub…
Think You Know The Grand Theatre? The Grade II* listed Blackpool Grand Theatre celebrates Heritage Open Day with open doors and…
With Blackpool Illuminations 2018 just around the corner we take a look at Illuminations Switch On’s over the years… …
Things To Do In Blackpool Visiting Blackpool? Here are the top 10 things to do in Blackpool whilst you are…
Young people attended an Arts Award Celebration Day at The Grand Theatre, to receive their Bronze Arts Awards and share…
Blackpool’s Grand Theatre is delighted to announce its BIG Summer Show for 2018. Working in partnership with Producer Stuart Littlewood…
The one and only Steve Royle will be returning to Blackpool’s Grand Theatre for this years spectacular pantomime, Beauty and…
The Grand Creative Learning Team have been busy working with Blackpool Schools, that are part of the RSC Associate Schools Programme,…
NEW SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT – Blackpool’s Grand Comes Alive From Award-Winning Dance To A Multi-Sensory Trip Of Terror! Blackpool’s Grand Theatre launches its brand-new…
From the 25 June to the 1 July, is Armed Forces Week in Blackpool, leading up to Armed Forces Day…
Peppa Pig’s Adventure performed at Blackpool’s Grand Theatre over the weekend. So, local blogger/vlogger Kate, known to her following as…
The Grand Schools Sharing Event – Creative Learning Team have been busy working with our Wyre RSC Associate Schools to produce…