BREAKIN’ CONVENTION 2017 – Submissions Open
Submissions are now open for local acts to take part in BREAKIN’ CONVENTION 2017! Do you have the Talent?
NATIONAL TOUR SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Breakin’ Convention is the UK’s festival of hip hop dance theatre, presenting dance by companies and crews from across the globe.
If you are interested in submitting an application for yourself or your company please read the guidelines below before completing the application available on the Breakin’ Convention website http://breakinconvention.com/get-involved/perform/perform-breakin-convention/tour.
We are currently programming our 2017 National Tour (Blackpool performance date – Saturday, 27 May 2017).
You should apply for the venue closest to where you or your company are based. That’s BLACKPOOL!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday 28 October 2016
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Breakin’ Convention does not want to prescribe what you should create; we love the fact that companies continue to break the conventions of hip hop dance theatre. However, there are a few things that are really important for companies who want to be in the festival.
We are interested in companies who do any of the following:
- Demonstrate pure hip hop and street dance techniques to the highest level
- Are using hip hop and street dance techniques in a different and exciting way
- Have a story to tell or a concept to explore
- Are making a statement – this might be political or social
- Are able to create an atmosphere and take an audience to another world or state of mind
- Have a vision for the future of hip hop dance theatre
NOTE: We must see the full length of the piece you wish to present at the festival (Max length 6 mins, no min!).
Although work may not be finished at the time of auditions you must show what you have created so far – as we cannot programme a show we have not seen.
All of the companies who have performed at Breakin’ Convention Festivals have been unique:
- You don’t need a story or a theme. The Ruggeds (Netherlands) came with a raw, b-boying piece Adrenaline in 2015
- You don’t need a large set – BirdGang (UK) used only a single table and chair for Vice in 2013
- You don’t need a huge company of dancers to make a powerful piece – Kenrick “H20” Sandy – Boy Blue Ent (UK) performed a solo show Mad World in 2008
- Some companies have told stories through their performance whilst MyoSung (Korea) created an abstract dystopian world with their piece The Revolution Will Not Be Televised in 2009
- Some companies have experimented with technology – Sébastien and Raphael (France and Germany) interacted with a live video feed for Seuls Ensemble in 2010
- Start with your idea and remain true to it, dare to be different!
We want to know:
- Your idea – is there a story line, theme or vision for the piece?
- Whether you have performed it before, or is it new?
- What music are you using – chart music/mixed/new commission/live (DJ, musicians, vocals).
- How many dancers and, if under 18, how old they are?
- If you have performed as a group before, if so where?
- If you have photographs and video footage of the company?
Auditions (by appointment) will take place on the following date: Saturday, 3 December 2016 (at The Oracle, 49 St Anne’s Road, Blackpool FY4 2AP)
In Breakin’ Convention 2016 there were artists from the UK who have been working for over ten years, there were also young people making their first work. Don’t rule yourself out.
(Note for international companies: If you are an international company please do not complete this form but email firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your piece and we will contact you.)
If you have any questions about your submission please contact Breakin’ Convention (not the Grand Theatre) and we’ll be happy to help.
Share this article on Social Media
Alfred Hitchcock, the ‘Master of Suspense’, is an easily recognised name in cinema history. Famous for the technical brilliance in…
Take a load off, turn your phone and sit back and prepare to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine for…
Danny Walters Is The Beast – A man with a braver heart than most! Currently starring as Keanu Taylor in…
Dracula Who Is He? Bram Stoker’s character, Dracula, a Transylvanian Count who resided in a castle located high above a…
Do you dare to discover what’s on in Blackpool this season, courtesy of this brand-new stage adaptation of Bram Stoker’s…
Jon Richardson, star of Dave’s team captain on Channel 4’s ‘8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown’ is ready to…
If you haven’t grown up in the UK, you may not be familiar with the particular art of Pantomimes and…
Blackpool’s Grand Theatre announces the appointment of its new Creative Team. Producer Phill Fairhurst, Grand Theatre Creative Learning Producer and…
We’ve only just recovered on a Sunday night from the high-stakes drama The BodyGuard and now we’re faced with another! Have your tissues ready for Coleman BBC Drama – The Cry.
With the weather turning we all know it’s the start of some great TV drama to watch this Autumn –…
Discover the world’s most beautiful theatres. Walking into a great theatre can be mesmerising, walking into one of the world’s…
Creating Great Drama – ITV’s hot new drama STRANGERS has hit our TV screens to huge anticipation. The eight-part series…
Still as important now as he was centuries ago, Shakespeare has given us an important view into the women of…