5 min read
Read our list of the best book subscription boxes that deliver hand-picked books to your door each month you subscribe. The best UK book subscription gifts can be for you, or a loved one. Why not let them even choose for you?
Is World Book Day (worldbookday.com) not a great opportunity and excuse to take out a book subscription box and our list of monthly book subscription boxes are a bookworm’s dream. With creative, spellbinding and thought-provoking stories delivered straight to your front door, Isn’t that something each month worth getting excited about?
What is the best gift for a book lover?
Book subscription gifts are a lovely idea for those who love to read. What better way to brighten someone’s day than to send them a book subscription box every month?
The Covid-19 pandemic produced a massive increase in home readers of a good traditional book, and with World Book Day we think there is never a better time for others to get started and reading regularly. The sunshine is on its way, fresh air and curling up in the conservatory or in bed at night with a good book and a glass of vino or two.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies… The man who never reads lives only one.” George R.R. Martin
Let’s make the most of our time and indulge our love of literature.
We’ve collated our top favourite UK book subscription boxes, prices to suit all pockets and tastes, whether you love good thrillers, romance and fiction, or good classics. We’ve even found one with BEER!
Top Five Best Book Subscription Boxes
Books That Matter Book Subscription Box (from £17, booksthatmatter.co.uk)
Bringing female-led fiction and empowerment books delivered to thousands across the world – Did you know out of 16 available texts on the GSCE curriculum, only 1 is by a woman? How do women and girls become empowered if not represented in books they read, and stories they engage with?
Books That Matter puts women’s writing at the forefront, and why do they exist? because these statistics do! The mission, hand-picked female-led fiction through themed subscription boxes, events interviewing feminist authors and activists, podcasts, and much more.
Note: They do an amazing box for International Women’s Day (internationalwomensday.com)
Books That Matter was started by Founder/CEO Molly whilst in her second year of university. Molly was the first female winner of Start-Up Sussex, an entrepreneurship competition in Brighton which the grant helped her to fund and start Books That Matter in July 2018, it sold out of all its boxes in less than 2 days! Featured across Forbes, Stylist, Huffington Post, London Evening Standard, Bustle, and Thrive, Books That Matter was also recently crowned the UK’s Female Start-Up of the Year after just a year of trading.
- Their great value feminist book subscription service is designed to inspire, empower, and provoke thought, each box having a theme, centred around an acclaimed book written by a woman or non-binary author.
- As a bonus, it contains 3 to 5 gifts made by independent creative makers, bookmark and magazine. Grab your rolling monthly subscription and save (3 months £45, 6 months £90 and 12 months £180), or just test the water with a one-off purchase of £17.
- You can also gift a membership to a loved one or friend.
Books that Matter makes it into our list of book club gifts because, well simply we need more female-led fiction and empowerment!
Books + Beer Book Subscription Box (from £13.50, booksplusbeer.com)
Take time to broaden your mind with a brilliant book and the finest craft beers… Is this not possibly one of the greatest ideas EVER! If you are a lover of Fiction or Crime this is the best book subscription service for you.
It is so simple, select one of the two genres, Fiction or Crime, and then just await your box that month. Your subscription will also include two bottles/cans of incredibly crafted beer from pioneering, up-and-coming breweries, with some tasting notes/recipe suggestions, so you have got a chilled night in, in a box. Books supplied are all new releases, so you will never receive something you already own.
Non-fiction fan? Their non-fiction subscription delivers an eclectic, interesting mix of titles spanning subject areas like popular science, current affairs, business, and self-development. Expect titles to make you think, ensure you learn something new and expand your mind.
Or maybe you are ready for an unputdownable thriller? Choose a crime subscription and they promise they will select the very best brand-new titles you will race through. Something to keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat!
- Books + Beer also donate 50p from every box to men’s mental health charity Calm.
- Grab your rolling monthly subscription (3 months, 6 months, and 12 months), or just test the water with a one-off purchase.
- It offers some of the greatest up-coming new writers in fiction and crime and great value for money!
The Travelling Reader Book Subscription Box (prices vary, thetravellingreader.com)
Love British then this is for you! A service that celebrates all things British, visiting a new region each month. Each month discover a book based locally, surrounded by a plentiful supply of items made by independent companies local to that area.
In the box, you will also find items to tell you about the local area so you can plan a trip and discover more about the area. For those in the city or who have friends that are coming to visit them why not enjoy/send the London Box.
- UK Paces boxes are also available including Essex, Dorset, Lancashire, Manchester, Scotland and Wales.
- There’s also a great Junior Traveling version for children – great if you want your kids to learn about areas in the UK.
- Monthly subscription £34.99, 3 months £99.99 (children’s boxes priced)
The Travelling Reader Bok Description makes our top list of book club gifts boxes because it’s a great all-in-one box! We also see this book subscription service as a great way to learn more about some of the great regions in our beautiful Great Britain!
ShelterBox Book Subscription Box (from £10 a month, shelterbox.org/book-club)
An incredible idea to support global charity ShelterBox the UK’s first charity book club. ShelterBox provides disaster-affected families with emergency shelter.
Every six weeks, you’ll be discovering new cultures through diverse book choices and characters that are inspired by real-life stories around the world.
Every six weeks, all subscribers get to vote via a shortlist (three books) and will receive the winner in the post along with an illuminating letter and update on ShelterBox’s efforts.
- Book debates are held on the Book Club Facebook page taking place around 6-weeks after the book is delivered. You get a lovely email to remind you of the debate day.
- There is no set membership fee, it is voluntary, you can select between £10/£15 with a suggestion of at least £10 a month (it is guided to £12.50), part of which goes towards making a care box for disaster victims.
- Compared to other clubs at £15-£25, we ask you to do what you can to help.
ShelterBox’s charity monthly book subscription makes the list because it offers brilliant value, and it’s for an outstanding cause!
Mr B’s Emporium of Reading Delights Book Subscription Box (from £45, mrbsemporium.com)
Twice named the best indie bookshop in the country.
As a recipient of one of our award-winning and bespoke book subscriptions, you begin by completing a short consultation so that we can get a feel for your reading tastes. Then one of Mr B’s team will be appointed as your dedicated bibliotherapist and will hand-pick a book each month, chosen especially to suit you.
Every book arrives through your letterbox beautifully presented in our beautiful wrapping and red wax seal. And you also receive a stunning, limited edition bookmark with each delivery to make sure you never lose your place!
‘I have just finished reading my last recommended book – I swear you guys must be mind-readers! I have thoroughly enjoyed each of my, very different, books enormously and could not have chosen better myself!’ Isobel G
- Subscriptions can last for three, six or 11 months (they always miss out on January because they know many of you will be enjoying Christmas books you asked family and friends for!)
- You can choose between paperbacks and hardbacks.
- They also offer a great collection of one-offs!
Making it into our 5 best book subscription boxes because it’s all totally selected for YOU, this award-winning operation even posts in style!
Our verdict: Top 5 Best Book Subscription Boxes UK
There you have it – the best book subscription boxes in the UK! A great collection, perfectly chosen, I mean who would not want their own bibliotherapist? We realise not the cheapest, but great options of paper and hardback, and a more personally focused touch, perfection costs a touch more! Buy now
Government’s Culture Recovery Fund – Blackpool Grand awarded £491,000
Culture Recovery Fund – Blackpool Grand among more than 2,700 recipients to benefit from the latest round of awards from…