WE ARE A CHARITY – Blackpool’s Grand Theatre is a not-for-profit organisation and registered charity. Our charitable status means that all profit is invested back into our work. Every time you buy a ticket to a performance, give a donation or buy a gift from our online shop you’re helping to support our charitable aims.
We receive just 7% of our income from public funds – Arts Council England and Blackpool Council. The remaining income is generated from Box Office sales, commercial activities and fundraising. We generate income from Charitable Trusts & Foundations, Friends of The Grand and corporate sponsorships.
Blackpool’s Grand Theatre operates as two distinct Charitable Trusts:
Blackpool Grand Theatre (Arts & Entertainments) Limited
The purpose of the Charity is ‘to promote, maintain, improve, assist and advance public education, appreciation and understanding of the arts including the arts of design, drama, mime, dance, singing and music and, to formulate, prepare and establish schemes therefore.
Our vision, mission and values for the theatre identify how we will deliver on those purposes and are expressed fully in our current business plan. The vision that shapes our work is to make Blackpool Grand Theatre a nationally recognised local resource committed to inspiring a life-long love of [the] theatre.
The charity aims to:
- Welcome new and existing audiences by presenting a programme that will inspire, challenge and entertain through its cultural and artistic diversity.
- Contribute to Blackpool’s vibrant cultural heritage through programming and by being a centre of excellence for the enjoyment of the performing arts.
- Enhance and conserve the integrity of the Grade II* listed Victorian theatre.
- Ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the theatre.
- Support the continued development of creativity and learning in the local and wider community.
Several strategies are employed to achieve these, from targeted discounting, and audio-described performances for the blind and partially sighted, plus BSL signed and captioned performances, to guided tours and partnership working with many and varied stakeholders. A very big part of The Grand’s role in the region is to support the presentation of drama, dance and children’s performances.
Blackpool Grand Theatre Trust Limited
As a theatre conservation charity, the board of trustees is continuously mindful of the need to preserve, maintain and improve the beautiful and historic Grand Theatre. The theatre, which the Trust owns, is one of the few remaining operational venues designed by Victorian architect, Frank Matcham. It is Grade II* listed and an important heritage asset, not just for the town of Blackpool, but for the nation as a whole.
Why is Blackpool Grand a Charity?
- The Grand brings the highest quality visual and performing art to Blackpool
- The Grand breaks down barriers for new audiences to be inspired, challenged and entertained
- The Grand supports and helps to grow and strengthen communities
- The Grand provides creative opportunities for families and children
- The Grand nurtures talent and confidence in young people
- The Grand helps to raise career goals
- The Grand develops artists and commissions new work
- The Grand offers an extensive curriculum-based schools and teachers programme
If you would like to make a financial contribution to the maintenance or improvement of the building, please make your donation payable to: Blackpool Grand Theatre Trust Limited. Registered in England and Wales No 1323495, Charity No 506601